Chicken & Rice Meatballs
These delicious meatballs make a great appetizer to serve ahead of your main course. Serve them for Thanksgiving, your Super Bowl party, you name it!
- 1.25 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup leftover white rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 2 tbsp dill
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 2 tbsp scallion
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced shallot or onion
- 1 bottle Nong's Sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp high heat oil (canola or similar)
- Cook ginger, garlic and shallot in 1 tsp of sesame oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients (minus the Nong's sauce, chicken stock, and oil) in a bowl and mix quickly and vigorously until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a heavy-bottomed, high-sided skillet or dutch oven, add oil so that it evenly coats the bottom surface and heat over medium high.
- Meanwhile remove meat mix from fridge and gently form into golfball sized meatballs (this step is easier if you use gloves).
- When oil starts to shimmer, add meatballs in even layer in the cooking vessel.
- Cook 3 minutes per side or until nicely browned.
- Add Nong's Sauce and chicken stock so that liquid covers 1/2 to 3/4 of the meatballs, making sure to leave the top of the meatballs uncovered by the sauce.
- Bring the liquid up to a heavy simmer, cook for 5 mins and then transfer the pan to the preheated oven.
- Cook for 10-15mins.
- Serve the meatballs with toothpicks/skewers and use some of the reserved cooking liquid for dipping.