Miso & Marinated Black Cod
You'll need to plan ahead for this delicious miso and black cod dish. It tastes its best when able to marinate for 24-48 hours, but we think the end result is well worth the wait!
- 4 six-ounce filets of black cod
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 bottle of Nong's Sauce
- Bring the Nong's Sauce and mirin to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Boil for 1 min to evaporate the alcohol.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the miso paste, and whisk.
- When the miso has dissolved completely, remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pat the black cod fillets thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- Slather the fish with the miso marinade and place in a non-reactive dish or bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- When it's time to cook: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over high heat on the stovetop.
- Lightly wipe off any excess miso clinging to the fillets - don't rinse it off.
- Add a small amount of high heat oil to the pan, then place the fish skin-side-down on the pan and cook about 3 minutes - until the skin starts to brown and crisp in spots.
- Flip and continue cooking until the other side is browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- While the fish is resting, add some of the marinade back to the skillet over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 2-3 mins and serve this sauce with the fish.